Sunday, March 02, 2008

Granny Cake

I tried the Granny Cake recipe from my Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook today. I was looking for something to bake to use up my overly ripe banana supply, but I'm sick of banana bread. I've never heard of Granny Cake before; apparently it's also called Hummingbird Cake.

Granny Cake is a simple cake with 6 bananas and just a little bit of crushed pineapple added, spiced with cloves and nutmeg. It actually was a success. Usually I don't like the cakes I bake, even if others do; I don't really like cake (cookies, pie, a different story.) But it was basically a very moist banana bread (not much pineapple taste, surprisingly) with a nice spicy aftertaste. I recommend it , especially for a brunch or a coffee cake. I think a glaze would also be nice on it, maybe with a bit of pineapple flavoring. Let me know if you would like the recipe! It's probably on line somewhere, but in fact I am just too lazy to look. Post prandial coma...

2 comments:

ShellyH said...

yummy! I love banana recipes, I will have to look for the recipe for that cake!

Jenna said...

I would love the recipe. I have three bananas on the top of my fridge that are bound for the trashcan if I don't come up with something else to do with them!



Search This Blog