Thursday, February 14, 2008

Flower Girl


Why do I like Valentine's Day? Because it marks halfway through February, which had always been my least favorite month, until, of course, my eldest niece was born. And my youngest nephew. So now it's bearable, at least.
.
Instead of cleaning, I perused the flower catalogs again today, and there is a ton of great stuff out there! In Breck's, I love the Anneke Calla Lilies and the Little Blue Wonder Sea Holly. From Spring Hill Nurseries, where I've bought before and had pretty good results, I'd like to try growing the Early Hybrid Kniphofia; they're so cool! and the maybe some helleborus. The Dragon's blood sedum is really crazy looking, too. This year I've become partial to Weigela; I'm waffling between that and the Ferdy Hedge Rose. I don't know.
.
I often have great ideas and no time (or energy) to actually follow through. If I buy the plants through the mail, though, I feel guilty about letting them die in the driveway in their little pots, so I usually do get around to planting them. My other problem, which I'm hoping will go away with a little more experience, is that I can't always picture: a) what the planting will look like as it matures and b) what "garden look" I'm actually aiming for when I start combining different plants. And the written descriptions of the plants don't always fully explain how the plant will look in my yard. But I guess that's part of the fun.
.
That's it for my ramblings on plants. My sisters will both be vomiting if they read this entry; they hate talking about gardening! One actually has a diagnosable plant phobia, I think: she gets grossed out around houseplants. Really. She doesn't like any plant life growing in the house--it's even worse if it's edible, like herbs or something. Well. Just a quick aside.
.
The weekend's coming! I'm hoping to do some sewing; I'm working on a project from Bend the Rules Sewing, by Amy Karol. Not too much else planned at this point, but I'm sure I'll run out of time anyway!

No comments:



Search This Blog