Saturday, February 16, 2008

Supper time




Hmm, what to talk about today....

.

.

Does that sound like I can't decide which of the marvelous and exciting things that I did today I should talk about? Oh ho ho, don't be misled. Actually, I've done very little and have nothing to show for the time that's passed. So here's what I wanted to be able to say today:
.
Oh, today was lovely--I spent the afternoon making pasta and French bread while my husband made sauce. It was delicious, we had it with a California table wine, even the kids ate it (the food, not the wine...) and for dessert, some yummy raspberry and chocolate chunk scones.

.

And here's the real blog entry:
.
Oh, today was pretty good--I actually had time to cook this afternoon. Initially I was going to make raspberry and chocolate chunk scones, but then I realized that the dried raspberries I bought contained an allergen we can't eat in my house, so out the window went that idea.
.
I decided to make some pasta, and in an effort to be healthy, I used organic whole wheat flour. I also pulled out the old bread machine and started up some French bread (also with the whole wheat.) My husband made the sauce, and then we all sat down to dinner.
.
Cue the sound of a record on a record player scratching and slowing way down...
.
YEEEEEEEEUCK! Oh dear lord, the pasta was DISSS-gusting. My husband ate it. (He eats everything.) One of the kids ate it. (Just recovered from a nasty gastro and lost about 5 pounds; so this week will eat anything, in large amounts.)
.
But the rest of us thought it was bogus. Are you familiar with the feeling of your teeth becoming furry? Not a good feeling. The noodles definitely caused that feeling. Eww. I can't think of another way to put it--the taste was okay, but the texture, not appropriate for food. The French bread, pretty tasty, actually. But I think bread made in my bread machine is always a little bit chewy; probably a bit over-kneaded. No chance to really rest and rise.
.
My husband's sauce was delightful. Thank goodness he also cooked up some sausage; it helped fill my belly! As I mentioned, dessert was a bust, but luckily there were left-over valentine's cookies...(and no, I didn't have four. I had five.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Poor you! That's happened to me before, too--but practice makes perfect!



Search This Blog