Friday, March 07, 2008

Making Lemons Into Lemonade


Such a positive title...but I mean it literally, I made lemonade, under duress, really, as the kids in the house pressured me to use our little (I do mean Little) Meyer lemons from our little Meyer lemon tree. I also used six store-bought lemons because, well, obviously, five dime- to half-dollar-size lemons do not produce much juice. My lemons actually were really really juicy. I don't know why that made me proud, but it did. Mmhmm, you can see I have become a bit obsessive about my citrus trees.

Well. So anyway, here's the recipe. It again is from the Better Homes and Gardens Cook Book, 12th edition. I swear, I have maybe 40 other cookbooks, and I do use them, but this one has such simple recipes, and frankly, I wasn't in the mood to cook, so I went with simple. And maybe I just like everything I make (but I really don't) but this was really good! And easy. With no preservatives or other junk.


Lemonade or Limeade Base:

Prep:20 min

Cool: 20 min

Chill: up to three days

Makes approx eight eight-ounce servings.

2.5 C H2O

1.25 C sugar

0.5 tsp finely shredded peel (I did not use this because I don't like the taste)

1.25 C lemon or lime juice (approx 7-8 lemons)

ice cubes


(see how simple?)


This makes a base, to be used mixed with water for the juice.

For the base, in a medium saucepan, heat and stir H2O and sugar over medium heat until sugar is dissolved.

Remove from heat. Cool for 20 min.

Add citrus peel and juice to sugar mixture.

Pour into a jar; cover and chill for up to three days.


For each glass of lemonade, combine equal parts base and H2O in ice-filled glasses. Stir.


I imagine this would be good with added raspberries or strawberries. And I've already had requests for lemon snow cones. I bet it would be a good base for a mixed drink, too. (And if my day keeps up this way, I'll be trying that hypothesis.)

No comments:



Search This Blog