Saturday, March 29, 2008

Look't I Found

I'm finally lounging on the couch wrapped in a blanket and not moving. With an emphasis on the not moving. Today I raked and raked and raked. It was sunny but cold--about 35 degrees with a stiff wind. (So it was a good thing that my neighbors weren't around--there were a few gusts that moved some of the leaves along...off of my grass and not into my wheelbarrow.)

So I made like forty trips from the front yard to the compost pile trucking leaves and really, by the end, the yard didn't look all that different. But the compost pile has experienced urban sprawl or woodland sprawl or whatever. It's big. It's out of control. And it doesn't seem to be composting anything. Another story for another time.


My favorite part of the day: finding these.






Of course, when I noticed these, I knew I should have raked in the fall.



Can you see how tall that white sheath is? The poor plants thought they were still underground in all those leaves. I couldn't bring myself to take a picture of the worst cases, which were six or eight inches tall and still no leaves were visible. They looked like some sort of deep sea ocean floor organisms. Icky. Kind of creepy, too.

I mean, I did rake in the fall, several times--but it snowed before we could rake a final time. I forgot I planted whatever these things are--maybe some sort of crocus. I planted a bunch of crocuses (Croci?) and daffodils and tulips and am being surprised as they pop up.
I also bought some heath, which I have yet to put into the ground. It's really pretty but we'll see--I like to garden but don't have a knack for placement. That's for tomorrow. If I can get out of bed!

1 comment:

The Over-Thinker said...

Although I hate raking, I would still love to have a yard. Such is life, when you live in an apartment...the grass is always greener, and all that jazz :-)



Search This Blog